Friday, April 29, 2011

We would drive to the end of the earth to visit this dynamic duo. Although we didn't have to drive quite that far, Omaha is still a brutal 16+ hour drive from Baton Rouge. It was oh so worth it though. We traveled through Memphis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Little Rock, and countless smaller cities along the way. It was neat to feel the temperature change with each stop as we escaped the already sweltering South.

Mom and Dad are at the half way point on their mission in Omaha, Nebraska. We can now begin counting DOWN the months until their return to Louisiana.

I read my sis-in-law's (Jordan) blog earlier today and she had a tribute to Paula which I wholeheartedly agree with. Paula Mangum is truly who I aspire to be as I continue to age. She is so aware of her surroundings, yet is led by the Spirit of Christ. She has five stellar children, and truly has a heart of platinum. We spent 3 1/2 solid days in their presence this past Easter weekend and I leave them always in better spirits and with a greater appreciation for their greatness.

Paula and I had a little alone time together, which is always a special treat, and I felt myself getting emotional thinking about how we're all aging and there will be a point in the future when she may not walk this earth at the same time as I where I can turn to her for sound advice. She loves my children and all 13 (almost 14) of their grandchildren and makes a special effort to make each feel equally important. They constantly give and rarely take. Carl on the other is as cool and calm as they come. There is no drama-ever-with Carl Mangum. If you give him a pair of running shoes and some fresh fruit or nuts, he's a happy camper. He's soft spoken, but when he does speak his voice is never wavering and crystal clear.

I had no intentions of writing a novel here on this post, but my heart just swells when I think of them. I hope that everyone who reads this feels this way about someone in his/her life. I'm just mostly grateful to Brent for choosing ME so that I could know THEM (he's absolutely worth keeping as well.)






Notice the grass how absolutely beautiful it is. It's like this most everywhere in Omaha.






3 comments:

The Comeaux Family said...

fantastic post Rob

The Busch's Hullabaloo said...

Your babies look happy after so many hours in the car! So glad you made that trip, I know mom and dad are too. Fabulous post, you are always good with words and love the pictures.

Nikki @ The Basics said...

LOVE! I just got you and Amy's comments (It has been that long since I have been on haha). I have, however, checked both of your blogs since then...yes, I still check your blogs and love watching your families grow. I graduate in 9 days! There will be a blog about that soon! :) I told Steve that I will be going to Baton Rouge to visit you guys this summer so see you all soon.