Dear Dad,
It has been one year to the day since I received that dreadful phone call from John that your spirit had left your body and you were no longer with us. I would have never thought that my whole life could change that quickly, but it has and the rubble is only beginning to settle. I’ve never been able to express myself either written or verbally quite the way I would like, so writing this letter is somewhat difficult for me. The pictures above are of Dakota and I with the plant we took home from your funeral. This beautiful house plant was delivered by a loved one and has grown to nearly twice its oringinal size from 1-year ago. It is now a living reminder of you in our home and we love to nurture it and watch it grow.
As I recently turned the calendar to the month of September my mind raced back to recall the events of last September. Although you were not at your best and you were trying to recover from an infection in the hospital, never did it cross my mind that you were only going to be with us for a little while longer. I remember a moment you and I had in the hospital one afternoon that was unlike any other. I stopped cleaning your hospital room for once and you stopped asking me to get you stuff. My heart was calm. You were trying to rest. I sat on the bed next to you and you moved your weak body over so that I could lie down next to you. I remember thinking at the time how nice it was just to be still next to you. I can be a little high strung at times (thanks to you,) but there was a moment of peace and solitude that afternoon as we rested there and talked. You counseled me well Dad. I have a lot to be thankful for.
We have gone through the motions of life this past year each trying to figure things out on our own without the help of our Dad. It has been very unsettling knowing that our “rock” is no longer here to pick up all of the pieces. I have experienced things this past year that I never thought I would have to do without you. I guess you knew you were leaving me in good hands as my relationship with Brent was on the fast track. Somehow in the chaos of it all my love for him grew deeper as he stood by my side during this immense time of heartache.
There have been so many memories of you that continue to flood my head to this day. I hope they will always continue. We are doing a good job of keeping your memory alive and have shared some good laughs of things you have done. I’m still very sad that my wonderful husband never got to know you as well as I would have like him to before your passing. You both are amazing men and I wish that relationship between the two of you could have had time to develop. Dakota has had a difficult year with understanding death with both of his “Paws Paws” no longer here to share in the joy of life. This has, however, been a great teaching experience for us all with our children about eternal life and the Plan of Salvation. Thank you Dad for raising such great kids and for teaching us correct principles. I hope I make you proud and that you know how much I miss you. Rest well Dad!
All my love,
Robin
It has been one year to the day since I received that dreadful phone call from John that your spirit had left your body and you were no longer with us. I would have never thought that my whole life could change that quickly, but it has and the rubble is only beginning to settle. I’ve never been able to express myself either written or verbally quite the way I would like, so writing this letter is somewhat difficult for me. The pictures above are of Dakota and I with the plant we took home from your funeral. This beautiful house plant was delivered by a loved one and has grown to nearly twice its oringinal size from 1-year ago. It is now a living reminder of you in our home and we love to nurture it and watch it grow.
As I recently turned the calendar to the month of September my mind raced back to recall the events of last September. Although you were not at your best and you were trying to recover from an infection in the hospital, never did it cross my mind that you were only going to be with us for a little while longer. I remember a moment you and I had in the hospital one afternoon that was unlike any other. I stopped cleaning your hospital room for once and you stopped asking me to get you stuff. My heart was calm. You were trying to rest. I sat on the bed next to you and you moved your weak body over so that I could lie down next to you. I remember thinking at the time how nice it was just to be still next to you. I can be a little high strung at times (thanks to you,) but there was a moment of peace and solitude that afternoon as we rested there and talked. You counseled me well Dad. I have a lot to be thankful for.
We have gone through the motions of life this past year each trying to figure things out on our own without the help of our Dad. It has been very unsettling knowing that our “rock” is no longer here to pick up all of the pieces. I have experienced things this past year that I never thought I would have to do without you. I guess you knew you were leaving me in good hands as my relationship with Brent was on the fast track. Somehow in the chaos of it all my love for him grew deeper as he stood by my side during this immense time of heartache.
There have been so many memories of you that continue to flood my head to this day. I hope they will always continue. We are doing a good job of keeping your memory alive and have shared some good laughs of things you have done. I’m still very sad that my wonderful husband never got to know you as well as I would have like him to before your passing. You both are amazing men and I wish that relationship between the two of you could have had time to develop. Dakota has had a difficult year with understanding death with both of his “Paws Paws” no longer here to share in the joy of life. This has, however, been a great teaching experience for us all with our children about eternal life and the Plan of Salvation. Thank you Dad for raising such great kids and for teaching us correct principles. I hope I make you proud and that you know how much I miss you. Rest well Dad!
All my love,
Robin
5 comments:
I love you, sis.
That's beautiful Robin. Stay strong. We love you!
Stunning and quite heartfelt my sis! Keep it flowin'! Dad hasn't left us at all ; ) I do miss his quirkiness and out of the box thoughts tonZ!! He really was one in a million. Here's to you POPS!!
We wish we could have known him. However, we are sure glad we know his children! Love you
Oh, I love you.
Post a Comment