Monday, May 04, 2009

ZOO TRIP
The words "learning experience" don't remotely describe the past year and a half for me in regards to my new and challenging role as a parent. Between me and Dakota, the relationship has been everything on the spectrum between rewarding and trying. It's been a wonderful but progressive experience that I don't ever anticipate being without growing pains. Within our relationship, Kota and I need days together, just the two of us. Two Friday's ago, we made it happen as we took a trip to the BR zoo. We spent the whole morning there talking about "why?" this and "how come?" that, took a super boring train ride that seems exhilarating to kids, and topped it off with a little picnic by the monkey cages. It's days like these that make our relationship feel like something more than stepdad/stepson.
Kudos to anyone who can name that ugly rodent

7 comments:

Jordan said...

Nutria.

BRENTandROBIN + three said...

Nope, not a nutria.

Stacy Hutchinson said...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Nutria! That's what we call it at least. What a freak of nature. Can you imagine running into one of those in the wild? No thanks.

BRENTandROBIN + three said...

I love you guys. Seriously, I'm really blessed to have you both in my life.

Love ya,
The Rob/Momma

The Original Mangums said...

Capabarra! I've seen it before in Panama, but am not sure if I have it right.
Congrats on your special day with Kota! It is days like that that make natural parents feel the way you are feeling. Parenting is hard work, never ending, and all encompassing - you're doing a great job. Both of you are. We are proud of you. Love you, Mom

BRENTandROBIN + three said...

Bingo! It's a capybara!

Mangoose said...

Tom, you're a good man. Way to make time for you and Kota. That being said, you guys did a bang up job on that building. Jeni and I just BBQ'ed some capybara...good shiz.