Friday, May 14, 2010

Taken at Dakota's Mother's Day Celebration at school on Cinco De Mayo


Dakota's last day of school was this past Wednesday! I can't believe we've made it through an entire school year. He has made leaps and bounds this year. We're very proud of him and the young man he is quickly becoming.

I had almost as hard of a time, emotionally, on his last day of school as I did on his very first day. I guess it just struck me how fast he is growing up. We've struggled this year as parents because we've been debating the hold him back versus not holding him back situation. He is the second youngest kid in his class and academically he was slightly behind at the beginning of the year. As stated already, he's doing really well with his school work, but we're concerned that he will be playing catch-up if we allow him to go on to first grade where things move at an even faster pace.

After many parent-teacher conferences we've decided it's best to hold him back for another year now rather than waiting until he's older. As stated by his teachers and principal, "Kindergarten isn't what it used to be when we were growing up." They're right! I don't remember being introduced and learning half of the stuff that he has this year.

I'm confident that we're making the right decision. For the time being, our wallet is going to hate us because that's just one more year we're paying for private school tuition, but I know it's whats best for him in the long run.

3 comments:

Lexi said...

I was held back in 4th grade and really wish I would have been held back sooner (like Dakota). It will be a good thing for him, I promise. Glad that he enjoyed his first year!

Jessica said...

lots of kids do kindergarten twice. some do it for the wrong reasons but i think as long as the parents think and pray about what is best for their child, it is a great way to enhance his academics in the long run.
and yea, i can hardly believe that a year ago bren graduated kindergarten! it is going too fast.

The Original Mangums said...

Dokota will thank you! You have done him a great service! Playing catch up all during school is no fun. I am proud of you, all four of you!